Thursday 24 July 2014

27 years, 27 movies

I've recently turn 27 and everybody who knows me, knows I'm a movie critic wannabe. So, I've decided to say something about this 27 years shaped by these products of Hollywood and to celebrate my birthday with you top crushers, I have put together a list:  27 movies that relate to my life in a very special way.

Hope you guys enjoy it

Dirty Dancing




'Cause nobody puts this baby in the corner. In the summer, I used to go to my cousin's house, who is ten years older than me, put the tape in the VCR and repeat. Major crush on Swayze in my pre-teen days.


Sleepers




Dark. Friendship. Loyalty.
I actually love this movie.
Oh, and karma too.


My Girl


Vanda is a weirdo. And you got love weirdo kids. Specially, weirdo kids that don't know they are special. It also made me see that it's OK to be hypochondriac. Ah!


Say Anything




For a girl, loving Jon Cusack movies is almost a precondition and in this scene you gotta see this. Again major crush alert.

Gladiator





My defining teen moment came with gladiator (yep, I am a weird girl). This movie is very good, all about making choices, free will and freedom to love. And I also fell a little for Joaquin Phoenix (...what?).


Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring




Sorry HP, HG and Narnia fans (what's up with the closet?!), I'm all about the one ring.
Read the books and love the movies. I'd take Mordor over District 13 any day.


The Little Mermaid




Ok, Ariel is a brat who throws a fit and puts everyone in danger just because she wants to hang out with some boy. Still: had to be on the list.


There goes my baby



"Put some flowers in your head an I'll find you". To be honest, there's nothing remarkable about this movie, but I used to be obsessed about the 60's. I'm sure I lived through Woodstock.


How to loose a guy in 10 days




Aww. Every girl dreams of looking as good as Kate Hudson did in a yellow dress.
Still working on it!


Titanic




You were waiting for this one, right? Thought so.
What can I say? I'm a millennial, millennial kids love Leonardo Dicaprio.


Before sunrise




"People put romantic projection into everything". Love him. Love her. Loved the chemistry and the movie is really something special. It puts the traditional cliches of life under a different light. Perfect for every 20 year old.

My best friend wedding




"No one is chasing you. Get it?" Perfection is in the eye of the beholder, there's all different kinds of love, fight for who you love, blabla but still endearing. Julia Roberts and Ruppert Everet are great together.


Virgin Suicides



"What we have here is a dreamer."  From the first minutes, this movie had me. The girls, the boys and everything in between. A must see movie. Oh, and the soundtrack is great, too.

The Godfather




"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse". Ladies and gentleman, the greatest movie of all time: The Godfather. Marlon Brando meets Francis Ford Coppola equals epic cinematographic history. Brando was so epic in the first scene that already I was rooting for him and his family while shouting "crooks!!" at the police and throwing my shoe at the screen.



Pulp Ficion




"Don't be such a square". Introducing the master Tarantino. It took the first "Honey Bunny" for me to get hooked. Describe this movie: a rush of awesomeness.


007 Skyfall





To me, James Bond was nothing more than a playboy who rescued women on the beach again and again, nothing more. With Pierce Brosnan there was something but nothing like this. Skyfall: the rebirth of James Bond.


High Fidelity




Again : Jon Cusak. About a boy in love with a girl, lost at 26, owner of a record shop. Fill with lines that hit you like a slap, that make you say the "That is totally true! What else, Master?" Love it.



Dead Poets Society




For each generation, there is a movie behind it. The film relates the story of a teacher who teaches not by the books but changes the lives of a group of school boys. A must see movie, if you are living under a rock and missed it.


Like Crazy




"We have to wait patiently". Patience. The entire movie is about two people in love that learn how to overcome the distance. Not your typical love story and not your typical fairy tale ending either.



Vicky, Cristina, Barcelona




"Chronic dissatisfaction, that's what you have." Woody explores like no other the confusion that precedes the end of the early twenties. And the choices that you can never undo. Genius as always.


The notebook





Love. Old people in love. Old love. Soul mates. Love through the ages. I'm about to cry right now. EVERYBODY SAW THIS ONE.


Last Night




What is worst? A psychological betrayal or a physical? Keira Knightley is rare perfection in this movie. A movie about the side not so fun about being in a relationship.


Wall Street, 1987





The movie that marketing and business people love: Wall Street. Gordon Gekko is one of the most hated and loved characters of all times. "Greed is good". Ok, Gordon, chill!


Jeux d'enfants




Movies with a soul are rare. Movies that are simple and special are rarer. Marion et Guillaume. Two kids, one tin can: Cap ou pas cap?

Girl interrupted




Angelina. This movie to me means Angelina. Vulnerable crazy Lisa, you just want to give her a hug but then maybe she might stab you in the neck with a pen. "I'm playing the villain baby just like you wanted."


Elizabethtown




I'd like to think that i don't choose movies, movie choose me. This one was my favorite for a while, i know, it possibly collects all the great cliches of life but there's something there deeper than the main love story.

Signing of for now. Let's go to the movies!

Your TopCrusher,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment